Thursday, July 1, 2010

mostly meatless

Whoo beefy beef!

DSCF5133

The Apostles Fast is over, so we Orthodox are back to meat. However, I am basically cutting out meat from a foodlot. Not worth it. I want to vote with my dollar.

So I will be eating a lot less meat, cause the good stuff is jeez oh man expensive.

However, as in so many things, my man Trader Joe’s helps.

DSCF5114

Not cheap but at least achievable on occasion.

And a shoutout to my other man, Mark Bittman. I am totally delighted that Marky now has a column in Cooking Light. His philosophy about meat is very similar to my own: it’s harder on the planet and your waistline, but it’s delicious, so use it in moderation and try to vote with your dollar for humanely produced meat. Ever since I saw this particular recipe in his column, Almost Meatless Sloppy Joes have been on my must-make list!

DSCF5128 

Because Trader Joe’s only offers its organic ground beef in 85% leanness, and the recipe calls for ground sirloin, which is a bit leaner, I thus cut back a bit on the oil, not wanting it to be greasy.

Otherwise, I copied the recipe exactly. It’s wunnerful! And it’s probably psychological (and the fact that I hadn’t eaten meat for a month makes a difference, I’m sure), but I swear grass fed beef tastes better.

To accompany, green beans with dill, olive oil, white wine vinegar, and green onion. In a too-small bowl. When will I learn?

DSCF5126      

It was quite good. Gross as it is, there is something about sloppy wet meat soaking into a white bread bun that instantly transports me back to being about 7 years old. I am glad I am doing it in a healthy, environmentally-conscious way, at least.

 DSCF5134

Had the leftovers tonight atop a sweet potato. Which was horribly unphotogenic. Sweet potatoes break my heart. They are among the most delicious of foods, and they always look *gross* in my pictures of them.

DSCF5156

Finally, a bit of housekeeping- does anyone have any good tips for getting people to quit spamming their blogs in Chinese? According to Google Translator, my most recent comment stated: “Are there items in the law of stupid laws: "an organization of fools, Hengda to equal two-thirds of."”

Please, Chinese person: STOP SPAMMING MY BLOG.

7 comments:

Natalie @ cinnamonbums said...

ahahahah the chinese spammer. the translation is sooo funny.. mainly because it is such nonsense!!! ha!

Heather (Where's the Beach) said...

Love green beans. I'll be looking forward to reading your meatless recipes!

Katie @ Health for the Whole Self said...

I've made those Almost Meatless Sloppy Joes before and LOVED them!

Tamara Marnell said...

Hm, I've never translated the Chinese spam. I just kill it. Of course, I don't have very many readers or comments each day, so I can moderate every single one. I don't know what I'd do about spam if I had a ton of comments every day.

Megan D said...

I agree that sweet potatoes are FAR more amazing than they usually look!

MelindaRD said...

Ok, that is really weird with the Chinese spammer. Hmmm

Anonymous said...

I've never had the pleasure of meeting the Chinese spammer before. I guess I should count myself lucky? I did have this one guy link to my blog, going, "Great blog, check mine out!" and his linked back to pictures of warts. It was pretty disgusting. o.O

Sorry. I lost my appetite writing that. =P

I think it's great that you're taking a more conscious approach to your meat consumption! I don't see anything wrong with enjoying meat (it's just not something I prefer to do), and finding ways to enjoy it and help small farmers (plus the environment)? Double win. :D