Wednesday, December 9, 2009

can’t stop roasting

Everything I hold in my hand lately I’ve gone “can I roast this?”

It is roasty time. It’s cold and gross and depressing and my oven is hot and magical and caramelizing.

This is a SMALL SAMPLE of some of the things I’ve been roasting lately.

Roasty #1:DSCF2986

Butternut squash. Cooking spray and 400 degrees for 40 minutes or so.

Atop some couscous, with almonds for protein and crunch.

DSCF2989

Crazy tasty, stupid nutritious. I had it with something I LOVE and totally forget to buy:

DSCF2991

Coffee yogurt?! Anybody?!

Roasty #2:

 DSCF3045

Brussels sprouts! With just olive oil, salt and pepper, at 425 for 40 minutes or so.

I put them atop some Tabachnik frozen split pea soup. I love their soups! They are all kosher, which means their ingredient lists are nice and short and natural. This one was low sodium (score), on sale (I bought it around Yom Kippur but who knows with Hannukah they may well be on sale again!), and sooooooooo quick to heat. And delish with the brussels!

The whole lunch spread:

DSCF3046

That’s THE LAST of my free Nature’s Pride toast (I’ve been keeping it in the freezer, obvi) with cranapple butter, and apple slices with PB and more cranapple butter.

DSCF3047

Some might say APPLES with cranAPPLE butter may be redundant. Some are wrong. It’s awesome. (Right Eireni? How are you feeling, girl?!)

Roasty #3, eaten just now:

 DSCF3058

1/2 T olive oil+ 1/2 c brussels sprouts+ 1 chopped carrot. Seasoned with chili powder and garlic powder. 450 degrees for 25 minutes or so, tossed occasionally.

DSCF3060

Atop more whole wheat couscous that I made with some diced tomatoes.

DSCF3059

With a lackluster orange. I miss my farmer’s market :(

12 comments:

Veggies, Cake & Cocktails said...

mmmm...brussels sprouts. I make mine the same way as you! They are so good and simple to make.

I can't say that I've ever heard of coffee yogurt. Is it good?

Juliana said...

Nice roasts...like the idea of roasting veggies...simple and healhty :-)

Anonymous said...

Roasting is a great and tasty way to cook veggies.

Taylor

Food Makes Fun Fuel said...

possible to roast veggies in this dorm I would be right there with you

Cara (Cara Craves...) said...

Yummers!

Sana said...

You are all about roasting :)! Everything looks soo delish!!

Eireni said...

Aw thanks for the blog shout out!! I am feeling okay, I've had a fever for the last three days and flu-like symptoms but what can you do. Positive thinking and vitamin C, right? And hells yes, I would marry that cranapple butter if I could!!

fittingbackin said...

hehe I love all of your roastys! I'm a huge fan of roasted vegetables but sadly I seldom have the patience to do it!

tara said...

Your foods are looking good! I actually love brussels sprouts, a lot of people give me very strange looks upon admitting that! =P
I've never actually roasted vegetables myself, i have ordered them at restaurants and <3 them! have a good night!<3<3

Bonnie said...

Roasted veggies are the best, so easy to cook and very tasty.

Jessica said...

I also love roasting! It is the only way I can eat veggies.

Yasmin @ Pretty Little Steps said...

Those brussels sprouts look teeny tiny! Are they mini ones?

Thanks for stopping by my blog. For some reason your comment got stuck in spam. I had to "rescue" it, haha.