Sunday, October 18, 2009

pneumonia prevention

So, in a move that I may regret when I wake up with fluid in my lungs tomorrow morning, this morning I went on the 2009 annual Walk for Autism, a fundraiser that benefits autism research.

I am a big fan of autism research. However, those of you who may be living in, uh… the eastern United States, really, may have noticed the weather has not been so great lately. Suffice it to say, that when I got home, my favorite boots looked like this:

DSCF2473 

And I was cold and wet and shivery (though, on the bright side, laden with swag!):

DSCF2466

After the longest, hottest shower I think I have ever taken, I made what may be the heartiest meal I’ve ever made.

I don’t totally know what to call this, since at the walk I had a piece of pizza and salad… but it was 9:30 in the morning… and this was at 1:30… but contained oatmeal… but tasted sweet. Dessert for breakfast for lunch?

DSCF2469

Hella Hearty Stick-To-Your-Ribs Warming Squash Oats

1/2 cup oats

1/2 cup milk

3/4 cup water (raisins soak up liquid plus I wanted to slow absorption so everything would meld together)

packet o’ raisins from above swag

1/2 a delicata squash, roasted at 350 til tender (it cooked while I was showering!) and scooped out

1 tsp brown sugar

cinnamon

almonds on top for garnish (I went ahead and toasted them, since the oven was on anyway

Cook everything together on medium, and then low after it bubbles, heat. Stir. Cook for a long time until thick and luscious and filling and unbelievably comforting and satisfying.

DSCF2470

Look how CREAMY it got!

DSCF2471

6 comments:

Caroline said...

Thanks for your comment! Good for you for braving the elements for a good cause (I hope your boots recover!). I feel ya on the super hot shower, I have been out in the rain and cold all day and can't wait for mine. By the way, a bowl of oats that delicious looking can be consumed anytime in my opinion ;)

Lindsay said...

I hope you don't get sick! A hot shower always feels so good after being out in the cold!

Anonymous said...

Drink that tea girl and keep those toes warm!!

The oats look delish!

Anonymous said...

Good for you for walking! I thought about doing that one as well, but time seemed to get away from me. I hope you don't end up getting sick!

Those squashy oats look so good.

Jessica said...

Squash oats?! I would've never thought!

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) said...

Crossing my fingers that you won't get sick!