Thursday, October 22, 2009

new twist

So it is no secret that I have a bit of a stuffed pepper (really any stuffed vegetable) obsession. However, lest I bore you, tonight I mixed it up!

I give you

Chinese-Style Turkey Stuffed Peppers (roughly inspired by but substantially different from this recipe, which I’m sure is delicious too)

DSCF2533

Yes, I’ve taken to photographing food on my window ledge. College food bloggers have it bleak, guys.

Step 1: the pepper

DSCF2526

Get your hands on one bell pepper. Cut in half, remove ribs, all that jazz, and micro for 2 and a half minutes or until it is at your desired level of softness (you won’t bake these, so this is as soft as it gets).

Step 2: aromatics:

DSCF2527 

Heat 1/2 tsp vegetable oil over medium heat. Add 1 minced green onion, about 1/4 tsp minced ginger, 1 clove minced garlic, and about 2 tbsp. shredded carrot.

Then get your turkey. Oh, goodness, apparently it is still rather FREEZING at the back of my REFRIGERATOR.

DSCF2529

Anyway, add 4 ounces of ground turkey that ideally you HAVE thawed, shake on crushed red pepper flakes to taste, and brown (or, in my case, THAW, and THEN brown)

DSCF2528

Then add 1/4 cup brown rice, cooked (1/4 cup raw equals approx 1/2 cup cooked):

DSCF2531

And this, admittedly, not the most appetizing looking “brown sauce”

DSCF2530

1 t. soy sauce

1 t. miso

1 T water

1 t. rice vinegar

1/2 t. Sriracha

Add sauce to turkey mixture, and saute until the sauce is more or less absorbed (but the filling is still pleasingly moist!). Then stir in 1/8 tsp sesame oil.

Makes one serving of two stuffed pepper halves.

DSCF2532 

Not the biggest looker ever, but QUITE tasty. And it’s nice to mix up traditional dishes with new flavors. Makes life a little more interesting.

DSCF2534

Moreover, this recipe made me notice the *sweetness* of the red peppers in a new way. Love that!

1 comment:

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I love stuffed peppers. I love the garlic, ginger, Sriracha flavor combo! And I love the sweetness of red peppers... :)