Saturday, March 28, 2009

apple three ways

Today began with peanut butter ‘n banana oatmeal. I have been all over that stuff! I went to sleep last night thinking excitedly about eating it this morning.

DSCF0391

Then I had my first, proper, intense workout since this pesky bug began. It felt GREAT! I did the stairliptical for 48 minutes! It claimed I burned 550 calories, which I don’t remotely believe, but I figured I probably burnt at least 450.

DSCF0393

So I needed to refuel! First I had the Kashi bar, which was meh. Dry. I just wanted something with a decent amount of protein, and it had 7 grams. I ate it sitting by the river, though, which was great! We’ve got a gorgeous day here in Boston, I need to figure out how to best utilize it.

DSCF0395

Lunch featured another gorgeous salad. Today’s was lemon dressing, mixed greens, chopped celery, apples, and radishes, and slivered almonds on top. The apples were SO GOOD in this! They gave this burst of fresh sweetness with every bite.

DSCF0396

My second apple application (apple-cation!) was in my dang quesadilla! (Napoleon Dynamite? Anyone?). I seared the apples in the hot pan before I put the tortilla in, so they got all caramelized and nice. The theory behind this quesadilla was that fruit and cheese are a lovely combination, and it definitely worked in this! I also tossed in a few green onions, which made it a little kickier. An excellent experiment!

DSCF0397

The final product, pleasantly blistered. Quesadillas are some of my favorite junk food, but this one was very reasonable- it was my beloved Trader Joe’s whole grain tortilla, and reduced fat Mexican blend cheese (I got Sargento brand on sale and really like it!). But I still got the quesadilla satisfaction!

DSCF0398

All together. A lovely lunch.

However, after that intense workout, I was still feeling a bit peckish, so I had my final apple-cation: the other half of the apple I used in the quesadilla and salad, simply sliced and sprinkled with cinnamon. Mmm.

DSCF0400

I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend!

No comments: